The overall system, as depicted in Fig.1, is composed of several elements:
• one or multiple groups of robots, that coordinately execute a task. The implementation is totally distributed, thus requiring
• onboard computational units (GNU-Linux PC Board)
• onboard sensors (Inertial Measurement Unit, Camera, etc.)
• inter-robot communication infrastructure
• one or multiple human operators that interact with the robots. The interface with the robots is composed of several elements
• control interfaces, used to provide the commands (joypads), to receive a feedback from the task execution (monitor for visual feedback), or to combine both things (tablets, actuated devices with force-feedback).
• a communication channel to connect with the robots. The network can be used for inter-continental teleoperation.
• external sensors, when present, can provide additional information (for example a vicon camera system)